After visiting Split, Croatia in May 2019, I have put together my top 10 things to do in Split, Croatia. The heart of the city lies with the walls of Roman emperor Diocletian retirement palace, which was built in the 3rd century AD. Today the historic center of Split is included on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.
- Visit Galerija Mestrovic – A must see gallery overlooking the sea and surrounded by extensive gardens. Ivan Mestrovic designed this building as his summer home in the 1920’s. Some of his beautiful 200 pieces of sculptural works in wood, marble, stone and bronze are on display. www.galerijamestrovic.com
3. Jupiter’s Temple – Roman Emperor Diocletian constructed this temple to worship the god Jupiter. This stone relief shows a medieval Croatian king on his throne.
4. Lunch at Zoi on the Riva overlooking the crowds. This is a fabulous spot to dine for lunch or dinner overlooking the Riva, as well as avoiding the cruise ship crowds. The fare is Mediterranean, Seafood with a wonderful wine list! www.zoi.hr.com
5. Dinner at Coffe-restoran Dvor – This quaint waterside restaurant is fabulous not only for the setting and view, but the food is so fresh and wonderful. I recommend the whole sea bass encrusted in salt with the side house salad.
6. We stayed at The Radisson Blu Resort right on The Adriatic Sea. The Radisson Blu is part of The American Express Fine Hotels program. As a member, you receive great benefits such as an upgraded room, a $100.00 hotel credit, and complimentary breakfast for two either in your room or at one of their restaurants. We received a beautiful suite with a gorgeous view of the Sea. Each morning we had breakfast on our private terrace. www.radissonhotels.com www.americanexpress.com
7. The Riva, which is the main part of town. At one point of the area, cars a re not allowed in the area. This area house several restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops. Great people watching. A favorite for tapas and wine is Paradox, which has a great rooftop for spectacular views.
8. Vestibul – The cupola of this domed space was once decorated with marble and and mosaics. Today, as you can see is a round hole in the top of the dome, but it is a beautiful effect with the dark interior, the blue sky is above, and the tip of the cathedral’s bell tower framed in the opening. It makes a gorgeous photo.
9. Island hop…take one of the ferrys or a sailing adventure to the islands such as Hvar, Brac, Vis and plunge into the gorgeous clear blue waters. Visit Modra Spilja, which is known as The Blue Cave on the nearby island of Bisevo. In my next post, I will share with you information of the charming island of Hvar and two lovely towns we visited down the coastline.
10. A few other must do’s:
Moped around Split, and see the beautiful beaches. Stop and have a picnic.
In summer, Vanilla hosts pool parties for Yacht Week every Friday night with foreign D.J.’s. A great terrace and a rotating bar.